A remarkable story reminiscent of the Biblical parable was related at a crowded revival meeting conducted by Pastor Jeffreys at the Welcome Hall, Tunnard Street, last night, by Mrs. Altoft, a Little Coates woman, who claimed that after being wheeled about in a spinal carriage for nearly eleven years, suffering from what was thought to be an incurable disease, she “suddenly felt the power of God” at a recent Revival Meeting, and rising from her carriage walked up the Hall to the platform. The big following that the Revivalist has gathered around him since he opened his meetings in Grimsby in January listened with breathless interest to Mrs. Altott’s narrative last night.

It was a strange scene. Standing on the platform alongside Pastor Jeffreys, this trail, little woman, looking supremely happy, told her story with a calm deliberation. Her testimony was supported by the spectacle of the spinal carriage which was suspended from the wall near by, and bore upon it in chalk the words: “She is not here, but is risen.” The narrative was punctuated here and there with deep-throated “Hallelujahs” and “Glorys” from the members of the audience. Here is Mrs. Altott’s own story as related to the Telegraph:--

“For many years I have suffered from an internal trouble and have been treated by numerous doctors, all of whom declared that nothing could be done to cure me. In April, 1911, I took to my bed, but I craved for the open air, and as I could not even sit up, a bath chair was of no use. So my husband hired a spinal carriage during the fourth year of my illness, but this was sold by its owner. With the help of a few kind friends, my husband was able to get one made for me, according to our own measurements, so that it could be wheeled alongside my bed. The only change I got was when I was lifted from my bed into the spinal carriage, and wheeled out into the open air. I was never dressed, in fact I parted with all my clothes in the belief that I should never need then again. Many times I thought my end had come.

“On more than one occasion women have been fetched to my bedside to prepare my body for burial. But, thank God, Pastor Jeffreys came to Grimsby. I was taken to his services and anointed. On Sunday, nearly eleven years from the time I was first taken ill, and during which time I had been completely prostrated, the power of God came upon me whilst I was attending a service at the Co-operative Hall. I asked my husband to unfasten the apron on my carriage, and--oh, the joy--I was able to rise from my spinal carriage and walk almost without a tremor up one aisle and down another. On Monday night I journeyed from my home in Little Coates to the Welcome Hall, in Tunnard Street, to attend another service, travelling by train as far as possible, and walking the rest of the distance: this after being nearly eleven years without being on my feet!

“Not only can I walk now, but after fifteen years I can see without wearing dark glasses. I can look at the electric light without blinking, whereas before, the smallest particle of light caused dreadful pain. I am a new being from top to toe, free from morphia taking, although I was told I never would be able to give this up. I am full of joy that where human skill failed, the Great Physician has brought life, new resurrecting life, and gladness even to me.”

There were others who gave their testimony last night: a man who claimed to have been cured by a double rupture after 13½ years; a woman who said a tumour had disappeared after being “anointed” by the Pastor; a youth who asserted that he had been cured of consumption; while a mother testified that her eight-years-old child, whose hand had been paralysed from birth, could now use it perfectly.

“I have been on crutches for years,” declared another convert, “but got anointed, and am walking about now without crutches at all.’’ And this man stepped upon the platform and walked unaided along the aisle, while the crowd sang and cheered.--(Grimsby Daily Telegraph, March 10th, 1922.) Quoted from The Elim Evangel.


From: Confidence, No. 129, April-June 1922, pag. 28, 29, Sunderland, England